Grocery paper bag gift wrap

Ok, I loooove making stuff out of grocery paper bags. I have a bazillion of them because that's all I use when I grocery shop (I am too forgetful to take the reusable ones). And because I have so many of them, I can't get myself to throw them away :( So I make stuff with them.

If I have to mail out a package, I bet you anything it's going to be wrapped in a paper bag.

 If I wait till the last minute to wrap a gift and find out I have no bags, it's gonna be a paper bag for sure.
 I love the versatility of it. I can do whatever I want, cut it into whatever shape I want, and feel good about recycling!

So here we go:

  • Materials you will need:
  • Paper bag
  • Scissors
  • Sewing machine (or thread and needle)
  • Whatever you want to decorate with

1) Cut out the bottom and sides so that you are left with two big panels:

2) This next step will really vary according to the size of bag you need. I needed a small one, so I took a panel and folded it in half. And half again. And I was left with this:

Note: I like when the bag is a big crumbly. It adds the character I want. But if you want the crisp bag with not one crease on it, make sure you pick a nice bag and be very careful as you work with it.

3) Ok, next I wanted to make the opening. I took the side of the bag that has the opening and folded the corners like so:

4) Cut off the big you folded AND cut the bottom flap off too. So you will be left with this:

5) Now run to your sewing machine! Stitch all around your bag (don't forget to backstitch). I even stitched around the flap (just make sure you don't sew it shut!)

6) Now, you get to decorate! Waahoo!
I chose to keep it simple because the recipient of this gift is a very simple person. I always try to choose styles and colors according to the gift-ee's preference. It just makes it that much more personal.
I stamped it with a leaves stamp I had on both the front and back.

7) I popped my gift inside, added a raffia bow and closed it with a dab of hot glue.


No comments :

Post a Comment